Why Manufacturing Needs Virtual Reality
“Our goal is to have minimal design changes from concept to fabrication. Because we are reviewing designs in the virtual world before we build one of our robotic systems, we are seeing fewer design errors and more optimized solutions.”
-Justan Each, Virtual Solutions Manager, Genesis Systems Group
Manufacturing organizations continuously look for innovative ways to augment the traditional design, testing, and review processes. Historically, designers and engineers would create and adjust a concept design before optimizing a prototype. Now, immersive visualization has proven its value in supporting prefabrication design reviews, proof-of-concept testing, and validation and verification.
The inherent power of virtual reality and immersive visualization capabilities are revolutionizing how manufacturing organizations interact with prefabrication solutions, leading to benefits across an organization:
- Engineers dive deep into concepts, leading to insightful discoveries about their designs
- Designers see concept implications, resulting in optimized designs
- Technicians and engineers plan for production, fabrication, and integration more easily
- Project teams collaborate to make informed design decisions, which ultimately results in higher quality products
- Virtual designs result in faster decision cycles, accelerating time-to-market
With countless virtual reality and visualization solutions on the market, manufacturing organizations must tailor a technology solution to desired outcomes, workflows, and company cultures. Mechdyne has helped countless clients experience as a result of innovative, tailored technology.
Immersive Visualization in Manufacturing: Return on Technology Investment
- A large vehicle manufacturing organization utilized advanced visualization technology to increase customer engagement, resulting in a $10 million sale.
- During a virtual design review, a large vehicle manufacturing organization found a way to optimize a design. Physical prototyping prior to the optimization could have cost this client $100,000 to $1 million to rework the interface.
- Through advanced visualization technology, a Mechdyne client achieved a 60% reduction for an air handling system and a 50 percent decrease in labor utilizing a large-scale display. Collaboration in the immersive space enabled users to reduce design time from 27 to 9 months and save over $100,000 by eliminating physical models in the design cycle.
- A CPG client increased sales 15-20% based off their market research utilizing visualization technology and hosted their customers 50% more frequently.
Article provided by Mechdyne